- Posted by Diane Staehr Fenner
- On December 3, 2013
- 0 Comments
- Advocacy, American Museum of Natural History, CCSS, Colorin Colorado, Common Core, ELL, English as a Second Language, English language learner, ESL, GATESOL, NYSTESOL, Professional Development
Thank you for your interest in DSF Consulting, LLC, a woman owned small business that supports English Learner (EL) achievement. We’d like to highlight some of our recent publications, blog posts, ongoing projects, and presentations.
Diane and Ayanna’s coauthored article Practical Strategies for Implementing the Common Core with English Learners was published by the International Reading Association as an E-ssentials document.
Diane was quoted in the Fall 2013 Scholastic Administrator article titled Adapting the Core.
Blog Posts on Colorín Colorado
- Your Role in the Common Core: Advocating for ELLs – Diane
- Common Core and ELLs: Planning Professional Development about Academic Language (Part 2) – Ayanna and Diane
- Diane co-taught a Literacy course with Dr. Maritza Macdonald at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City as part of a three-year project with AMNH to infuse EL expertise throughout their MAT in Earth Science program.
- DSF Consulting kicked off its support of the QELP project by participating in a meeting with the US Department of Education.
- We met with representatives from the NY State Education Department/Regents Research Fund and Public Consulting Group (a high school English Language Arts curriculum vendor) in Albany, NY and continued scaffolding New York State’s curricular materials for ELs in English language arts and mathematics.
- We moved our work along with the National Education Association to provide support on its EL advocacy documents and facilitate the review of its EL professional development materials.
- Georgia: Ayanna presented as part of the Walden University’s Scholars of Change Colloquium, on Friday Nov. 15, 2013 in Atlanta, GA. Ayanna shared her involvement in the field of English language advocacy, teaching and learning.
- New York: Diane was the keynote presenter on the CCSS for ELs at the NYS TESOL conference on November 15.