- Posted by Diane Staehr Fenner
- On February 22, 2016
- 0 Comments
Here are some projects in support of ELs that we are currently working on:
New York City Schools. We are developing a set of 26 performance-based, teacher-informed rubrics to be used with ELs in K-12 to assess their level of speaking and writing. In addition, we are developing a suite of supporting materials and professional development materials so that all teachers in NYC will be able to use these rubrics in support of their ELs’ instruction.
U.S. Department of Education. In partnership with the American Institutes for Research and the Office of Career, Adult, and Technical Education (OCTAE) at the U.S. Department of Education, we are developing English language proficiency (ELP) Standards for Adult Education that are aligned to the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education. In addition, we are developing supporting materials so that educators can use or adapt these standards with their adult ELs.
National Education Association. We are working with the National Education Association to develop a suite of five blended (online and face to face) professional development modules for teacher training on ELLs that will be used nationwide. The module topics are Advocacy, Assessment, Standards-Based Instruction, Issues of Equity and Culture, and Second Language Acquisition.
Syracuse City School District (NY). We are providing technical assistance to Syracuse City School District to refine and enhance their existing dual language programs. We are supporting the development of an expansion plan to scale up dual language programs in SCSD schools. In addition, we are supporting the district implement new state policies to support EL achievement.
Various School Districts. We are providing ongoing professional development in many areas, including scaffolding instruction, formative assessment, teaching academic language, and increasing collaboration in various school districts. This spring we are collaborating with teachers and administrators of ELs in several districts in New York State and in New Jersey.
Presentations in Spring 2016
- DSF Staff will be presenting several times at the TESOL International Convention & English Language Expo:
- Diane Staehr Fenner will co-present with Ayanna Cooper on April 4, 2016 at K-12 Dream Day. Their presentation is titled “Inclusive Teacher Evaluation for All Educators of ELLs.”
- Diane Staehr Fenner will present on the TESOL P-12 Professional Teaching Standards April 6, 2016.
- On April 8, Sydney Snyder will be presenting on engaging ELs in academic conversations on April 8, 2016.
- Sydney Snyder will lead a roundtable discussion on the topic of supporting first generation EL college-goers on April 9.
- Diane Staehr Fenner will co-present a presentation titled, “Sharing Responsibility, Engaging Families, and Advocating for English/Dual Language Learners” on April 9.
- Maria Konkel will be presenting The Effects of Trauma and Language Learning with Dr. Suzanne Alvarado at the NJTESOL/NJBE Conference on Thursday, June 2, 2016 in New Brunswick, NJ.